According to the CDC, more than 40 million people in America wear contact lenses, and as many as 90 percent of these individuals do not follow proper eye care instructions. This has the potential to cause infection, irritation, and, in the worst case, permanent vision loss.
Here are some useful do’s and don’ts for contact lenses wearers:
- Clean, rinse and disinfect your contact lenses each time you remove them. Use your eye care doctor’s instructions as reference.
- Clean your lens case and wipe it dry with a tissue. Replace your case every one to three months.
- Wash your hands with a mild soap and water, and then dry them with a lint-free cloth before touching your contact lenses.
- Always handle the same lens first to avoid confusing the left and right lenses.
- When not in use, keep all solution bottles tightly closed.
- Remove contact lenses before swimming.
- Only use fresh lens care solutions.
- Discontinue use of the solution once the expiration date has passed.
- Regularly schedule appointments with your eye doctor as recommended
- Ask your eye doctor whether or not you can sleep in contact lenses.
- Do not “top off” your contact lens solution. Adding new solution to old solution already in a bottle has been linked to infection.
- Do not purchase contact lenses, decorative or prescriptive, without an assessment by an eye care professional.
- Do not bathe with contact lenses in. Water contains small organisms that can lead to an infection when they come into contact with the lenses.
- Do not wear your contact lenses when there are harmful or irritating fumes.
Spectrum Eye Care provides top-quality eye health services, including contact lenses and eyeglasses prescription, dry eye treatment and more. Call us at (704) 543-9000 or (704) 334-4444. You may also fill out our convenient online form to schedule an appointment at one of our locations in Charlotte, NC.